Saturday, January 16, 2010
I know it's a bit late but things are still silly around here.
So it has now been just over 12 months since I was banded. I still believe it's the best thing I have ever done.
Some major changes for me over the past year....
1. I have gone from a size 22 to a size 16.
2. I no longer obsess about food. When doing Weight Watchers or any of the other numerous diets I have done, I would think about food ALL DAY. What have I eaten, what can I have next, when can I eat next, do I have enough points/calories for this? And on, and on, and on!
3. I no longer have cysts on my ovaries. I have suffered from PCOS for many years and would only have a cycle a couple of times a year. My cycles are now 33 days and I'm ovulating. I had an ultrasound done late last year and I no longer have cysts! Such an achievement!
4. I feel free. I thought that being banded and not being able to eat certain things (like my beloved hot chips) would be daunting, and I would feel resentful. It has been totally the opposite for me. I have come to realise that I don't need those foods.
5. I am much fitter. I have started running again and I feel great!
6. I am no longer housebound. So many times in the past I have not gone to special occassions because of my weight. I have missed weddings, family gatherings, nights out with friends etc. This could be for a number of reasons. Nothing fitted me in my waredrobe, I felt fat and frumpy, and to be honest I didn't really like myself. I am no longer missing out on these events. This use to always drive my husband crazy. We would be going out for dinner and if I could find nothing to wear, he would have to go on his own.
7. I am starting to love myself. My body is far from perfect and I still have a long way to go to reach goal, but I am feeling good about myself. I will probably always have some saddlebag and batwings, but hey, at least they are not size 22!
So there we have it. I am changing so much as a person. I am setting myself goals and best of all I know that I can achieve them.
Last year I wanted to run a half marathon. I am going to do it this year. I have picked a half marathon at the end of July and I'm going to give it a good go.